So I have neglected this blog for an entire year and I have realized, unfortunately, that I miss adventuring. Now while I am stuck on campus finishing off my senior year, there is no reason for life to be boring! So I have decided to pick up this blog again in honor of my favorite type of adventure--cooking!
I love to cook and talk about food so I hope you feel inspired to try some new recipes! Everything here is vegan, sugar-free and absolutely delicious (I promise).
Oh and please email me any time with your adventures (kitchen related or not)! Email me at KarinaHCosta@gmail.com.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Any Fruit Cobbler

Any fruit you say? Cobblers in general are delicious in all flavors, but the problem is that you have millions of cobbler recipes floating around out there. So I always have to look up separate recipes for 'peach cobbler' or 'apple cobbler' or 'tri-berry extreme deluxe cobbler'.

Well I am done with that. Here is a standard recipe that works beautifully with all types of fruit. It is also very versicle and can be made gluten free if needed. This recipe has been adapted from a PPK peach cobbler recipe.

Ingredients for the Filling:
  • 4 pounds fruit (peeled and pitted if needed)
  • 3 tablespoons flour (for GF: Bob's Gluten Free Flour Mix works)
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Spices to taste**
**Keep in mind what fruit you are using, for peach or apple cobbler I like: 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cloves. But that combination of spices might taste weird with something like...blueberries. So just use your logic!

Ingredients for the Topping:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus some oil to brush the surface
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 cup milk (or apple cider!)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • FOR GF: add 1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum
Note: This makes a thick crust. If you are not into that, just half the topping or double the filling.

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
  • To make the filling:
    • In a large sauce pan, cook the fruit over low-medium heat, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the juices are being released
    • Sprinkle in flour, toss to coat
    • Add remaining ingredients, mix together and let cool
  • To make the dough:
    • In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients
    • In a seperate bowl wisk together wet ingredients
    • Slowly pour wet into dry, mixing together dough with a wooden spoon or a firm spatula. Careful not to overwork it.
  • Assemble the cobbler:
    • Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish
    • Pour fruit batter into the dish
    • Spoon dough mixture over the top, spread with a spoon
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is slightly crispy
Done! I hope you enjoy and feel free to be creative!

No comments: