This cake uses a 9 inch springform pan. For a layered cake simply double the recipe and use two pans.
Vegan Mexican Chocolate Cake
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup good cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk substitute (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 cup canola oil or light olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 inch springform pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and chili powder.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk on low-medium heat. When it is slightly bubbling, add the cocoa powder and wisk well until it is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Combine the other liquid ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Add the cocoa mixture and combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick or butter knife comes out clean.
Spicy Chocolate Sauce
- 1/2 lbs (about half a package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- approx. 1 cup milk alternative
- approx. 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp chili powder
- With a double-boiler, add the chocolate chips and add milk until the chips are just covered.
- Once the chocolate has melted, add the vanilla. Stir continuously.
- Now add the maple syrup until you have reached your desired sweetness. This will depend upon the chocolate chips and milk used. If the sauce is getting too thick, add more milk just a splash at a time.
- Once the sauce has reached your desired thickness and sweetness, add the cinnamon and chili power.
- Remove the sauce from heat and pour on top of the cake. Now serve!